Monday, February 9, 2015

The Blacker the Berry - Kendrick Lamar


Well, Kendrick just dropped this and it's just a little bit different than the Sheeran/Smith cover I just got finished posting. Rather than detailing the love you have for somebody or lamenting the loss of that lover, Kendrick discusses the current state of the relationship between black people and America.

What am I supposed to say here? I'm a 22 year old white guy in the Northeast United States, never faced even a second of racism or societal objectification in my life. So as much as I'd like to have a connection to this song other than an appreciation for it sonically, I can't and I CERTAINLY won't pretend to.


The reaction to this has been interesting in juxtaposition to the reaction to Kendrick's billboard interview. We're a fickle bunch, regardless of color, race or creed. Hope I'm not raising a kid in an America as divided as we are today.

ENOUGH of the heavy shit though, be nice to people (Manhattan Asians notwithstanding), take us away honey badger:


No comments:

Post a Comment