Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Melo Out for the Rest of the Season

This comes as no surprise to anyone unlucky enough to be following the Knicks this year. What is absolutely infuriating is that it's taken this long. A 4-6 month rehab cuts things pretty close to next season, and with the most important summer on the horizon, the way this was handled inspires little-to-no hope whatsoever.

What's worse is that it marks the first far-reaching example of Melo making himself bigger than the franchise. He's the most powerful man in MSG, not Phil, not Dolan... Carmelo. This certainly reeks of him pushing things so he could participate in the All-Star game and then shut it down, which is downright ridiculous. I hope that's not where we're at with Melo, but I wouldn't be surprised one ounce. He could've served as an "ambassador" to upcoming FA's off the court while trying to get better, so the notion that his participation was necessary doesn't fly.

I've been a Carmelo Apologist since his first minute in a Knicks uniform, but Christ Almighty this guy makes it difficult. I mean I can't even fathom being a superstar athlete in NYC, but then again I can;t fathom being paid $125 million to play a game for five years.  Between this whole Corporate Melo persona he's been pushing of late and literally zero positive impact on the floor, things were getting hasty. Now factor in the health concern that we may never get back the Carmelo Anthony we've seen at MSG since 2011, today sucks.Seen it way too many times before, and he isn't exactly 24 anymore.

If that 62 point performance that certainly felt like a swansong last year was the finale, the last glimmer of the Carmelo Anthony we collectively put all of our faith into, I'll be sad. I'll be mad, but I won't be surprised.


I really really really fucking hope not though. Watching that live, a regular season game against the fucking Bobcats, shouldn't have mattered, but it did. I put Carmelo's performance here right up there with the best I've ever watched. He didn't miss, and when he did they collected an offensive board and he scored anyway. The stage, the atmosphere, it truly was only in New York. Need a healthy, hungry Melo back. Need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment